Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Work in progress Wednesday - therapy edition

I was once a two-pack-a-day smoker. I've always been a type A nervous worrywart. The brain is on high idle, ALL THE TIME. It never stops. So in May of 2003, upon discovery of a rather surprising pregnancy, I needed to quit smoking. So I taught myself to knit. In a weekend. Although I wasn't totally new to knitting, as my mother had tried to teach me when I was ten. I ended up being able to knit, not much else, attempted a sweater, failed, and gave up for the next 13 or so years.

That first weekend I got a Learn-To kit, and enough Lion Brand Homespun to make a blanket, and each time I wanted a smoke, I would knit. I made an entire afghan that weekend, and thus began the therapeutic use of knitting in my life. Better than Xanax, I tell you.

So while things are shit-stormy, I knit. A lot. Among the UFO's in my cabinet that I still need to decide a fate for, I have 3 active projects going right now, all different and wonderful in their own right.

This is Talise, a lovely tunicy sweater for me, that I'm knitting in a cashmere blend. So soft, simple but with just enough detail to make it interesting.






I recently completed my own version of this shawl, the Haruni, and my mom loved it so much she asked for her own. A knitted hug, although the lace weight yarn takes getting used to. This lead to the last WIP.



Mom is the queen of color work. Rarely using any pattern at all, she creates the most amazing things. She doesn't do lace. I of course said, " why not, it's easy". To which she replied, "so is color". So I'm trying. Again. I hope this turns out cute.



Both kids are picking up sticks too. Love my smalls.



No comments:

Post a Comment